The ExerciseSafe initiative supports Fitness Australia’s commitment for the fitness industry to deliver high quality, safe and effective services to the public.
As part of this commitment, Fitness Australia and Sports Medicine Australia, together with the Australian Research Council, have supported the Australian Fitness Industry Risk Management (AFIRM) Project. The AFIRM Project has brought together leading experts in risk management, exercise science, injury prevention and the law to generate data on industry practice, to review contemporary regulation and safety protocols, and to produce training resources for the industry to enhance client safety.
The AFIRM Project’s Research Team includes:
- Professor Patrick Keyzer (La Trobe University Lead Chief Investigator)
- Professor Joachim Dietrich (Bond University)
- Professor Caroline Finch (Federation University)
- Professor Kevin Norton (UniSA)
- Dr Betul Sekendiz (CQUniversity).
Working with an Expert Reference Group of international experts, the AFIRM Team have conducted focus group research, a national survey, observational audits and in-depth interviews across the Australian fitness industry.
The AFIRM resources and manual will assist the fitness industry professionals and businesses to:
- Identify and manage risks
- Understand the principles, processes and frameworks that inform the risk management environment
- Understand the legal environment within which fitness environments in Australia operate.