Before you join a gym, fitness or leisure centre, you should do some homework. Picking the right gym for you is the key to sticking with your program. Make sure the business is registered with Fitness Australia, which means they comply with the National Fitness Industry Codes of Practice and employ registered, qualified exercise professionals. Check out the amount of support and supervision provided and the availability of equipment.
Why you should exercise in a Registered Gym, Fitness Centre or Business?
Fitness Australia Registered businesses comply with the Fitness Industry Business Principles and are committed to setting standards of Customer Care, Safety, Quality and Professionalism. They offer a safe and social environment to meet your health and fitness goals, no matter what your age or fitness level.
Benefits of exercising at a Registered Gym, Fitness Centre or Business
- All Trainers and Instructors are AusREPs, have appropriate qualifications and have a current First Aid & CPR certification
- Registered businesses are required to abide by the National Fitness Industry Code of Practice
- Registered businesses possess professional insurance cover
- Registered businesses are automatically acknowledged as a fitness provider by many private health insurers who offer a fitness rebate
Tips on how to choose a Member Gym, Fitness Centre or Business
Ensure they are Members with Fitness Australia. You can check on fitness.org.au/FindAGym
Use this checklist to find a gym, fitness centre or business that’s right for you.
- Is the fitness centre or gym a well-established business?
- Is the location easy for you?
- Are the staff friendly and helpful?
- Is there a good selection of the type of equipment you want to use?
- Is the business extremely busy at the time of day when you want to attend?
- Is the equipment clean and well maintained?
- Does the business have lockers for your valuables?
- Are there child minding facilities?
- Is there plenty of parking or public transport?
- Can you put your membership on hold, or use it in a different location?
- Do they carry out pre-exercise screening to assess your needs?
Find a Business Member in your area.