Recommendations by Fitness Australia to its members, 3,500 fitness facility providers and almost 20,000 personal trainers and instructors, are to follow appropriate hygiene practices as instructed by the World Health Organisation and the Australian government.
“Good health and wellness is the top priority for gyms,” says Barrie Elvish, CEO of Fitness Australia.
It's very encouraging NSW Health has included the below in their communications:
Is it safe for me to go to the gym? Here are some tips on social distancing in gyms:
• Keeping fit remains important. If you are well and have not been asked to self-isolate then you can go to the gym. Don’t go to the gym if you are unwell.
• You should use wipes provided before you use each piece of equipment.
• You should try to go to the gym when it’s less crowded.
• Gym classes are currently OK, but this advice may change.
• Gyms should be ensuring that they are cleaning regularly, using appropriate disinfectant
See the Facebook post here.