The Business Principles and Guidance for Fitness Businesses have been developed by Fitness Australia as part of our commitment to supporting the fitness industry to prosper and grow. The objective is to outline and share some key principles that we believe are a useful guide when considering what constitutes good business practice. Some commentary as well as a range of supporting resources, links and guidelines accompany these Principles to assist fitness businesses seeking to apply these Principles in practice. These resources will be built on over time to meet the needs of a diverse and rapidly changing business environment.
The Business Principles and Guidance for Fitness Businesses developed by Fitness Australia are designed to promote and facilitate the activities that fitness businesses undertake regularly to achieve good business outcomes. Good practice is underpinned by legal compliance and every business member is responsible for understanding and complying with the laws that apply to them. The Principles have been developed to align with and support the fitness industry codes of practice in each State and Territory.
The main benefits of the Business Principles and Guidance for Fitness Businesses include:
- helping consumers by making their interests the focus, rather than compliance with a set of rules,
- providing a basis for quality business practices across a variety of fitness business profiles, and
- allowing for more efficient implementation of quality standards by fitness businesses.
Check if your gym, fitness studio, fitness centre is registered with Fitness Australia.
Code legislation still exists in a number of states and territories and fitness businesses must meet these requirements:
- Australian Capital Territory fitness industry code of practice
- New South Wales fitness industry code of practice
- Victoria fitness industry code of practice
- Tasmania fitness industry code of practice
- Queensland fitness industry code of practice
- South Australia fitness industry code of practice
- Western Australia fitness industry of practice